STUDY OF THE SPECIAL FEATURES OF THE PERCEPTION OF VIDEO INFORMATION BY THE FRACTAL ANALYSIS OF THE TRAJECTORY OF THE EYES MOTION
Belyaev R. V., Kolesov V. V.
Kotel’nikov Institute of Radio Engineering and Electronics, Russian Academy of Sciences, http://www.cplire.ru
11/7, Mokhovaya str., 125009 Moscow, Russian Federation
Men’shikova G. Ya.
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Faculty of Psychology, http://www. psy.msu.ru
4/21, B.Nikitskaya str., 125009 Moscow, Russian Federation,
Popov A. M., Ryabenkov V. I.
Moscow State Institute of Radio Engineering, Electronics and Automatics (Technical University), http://www.mirea.ru,
78, Vernadsky pr., 119454 Moscow, Russian Federation
Readout video information and its analysis by means of human’s visual organs is a multiple-factor processes which has long ago was a subject of investigation with the help of various technologies by specialists of different specialities connected with the study of man and different sides of his activity: physiologists, psychologists, physicians, engineers and the like. The necessary component processes of visual analyzer-movements of eyes –which is external appearance of this processes are investigated by multiple methods with using variety of tools for its registration. However, the quantitative estimations in this area are developed insufficiently and do not make it possible to compare the results of different experiments. The purpose of this investigation–an obtaining numeric characteristics of visual perception which may be given by fractal analyses of fit experimental data received with computer utility iView X of SMI GmbH company by using traditional for physiology eye tracking method – to follow up orientation and position of eyes while sensing video information from computer’s monitor. For everyone measurement realized via the selected time interval there were registered position data a centre of eye’s pupil and their evaluated values with taking into consideration attendant parameters. By using received points there were drawn up tracks of eyes movement – self-crossing broken line with large but finite number of crossing. An analysis of such tracks was made with known method of calculation a fractal dimension for complex undifferentiated curves. The length of such curve was calculated with recurrent scanning of registered data with using a measuring element the length of which was diminished with a selected step on every next reiteration. Functional dependence of track’s length received by such method, normalized on theirs known real length, is characterized by convergence with extreme transition to small value of measurement element’s length. It appeared that every such track was characterized by it’s own inclination’s angle of approximate line. There were obtained criterions for quantitative evaluation of visual perception which can be used for development as psychophysiological technology of identification and diagnostics of personality and information technology by using features of cognitive processes.
Keywords : information technologies, cognitive processes technologies, eyes movements, perception of video information, psychophysiological features of visual organs, fractal analysis, fractal dimension.
UDC 004.932.2; 159.931
– 10 references Received
11.05.2011, revised 16.05.2011
RENSIT, 2011, 3(1):56-68
Full-text electronic version of this article - web site http://elibrary.ru
- Yarbus AL. Rol’ dvizheniy glaza v protsesse zreniya [The role of eye movements in vision]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1965, 173 p.
- Buswell GT. How people look at pictures: A study of the psychology of perception in art. Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 1935, 198 p.
- Gippenreyter YuB. Dvizheniya chelovecheskogo glaza [Movement of the human eye]. Moscow, MGU Publ., 1978, 179 p.
- Barabanschikov VA: Okulomotornye struktury vospriyatiya [Oculomotor structures of perception]. Moscow, IP RAS Publ.,1997,384 p
- Itti L, Koch C. Vision Research, 2000, 40(10–12):1489–1506.
- Torralba A, Oliva A, Castelhano MS, Henderson JM. Psychological Review, 2006, 113(4):766–786.
- Lomov BF, Vergiles NYu, Mit’kin AA, eds. Dvizhenie glaz i zritel’noe vospriyatie [Eye movements and visual perception]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1979, 277 p.
- Findlay JM, Gilchrist ID. Active Vision: the Psychology of Looking and Seeing. New York, Oxford University Press, 2003, 220 p.
- Mandelbrot BB. The fractal geometry of nature. New York, W.H.Freeman & Co, 1982, 480 p.
- Potapov A.A. Fractaly v radiofizike i radiolokatsii: topologiya vyborki [Fractals in Radiophysics and Radiolocation: topology of sample]. Moscow, Universitetskaya kniga Publ., 2005, 848 p.