THE ANALYSIS OF TYPES OF THE EYES MOVEMENT BY FRACTAL ALGORITHMS
Belyaev Rostislav V., Kolesov Vladimir V.
Kotel'nikov Institute of Radio-Engineering and Electronics of RAS, http://www.cplire.ru
125009 Moscow, Russian Federation
Men'shikova Galina Ya.
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Faculty of Psychology, http://www.psy.msu.ru,
125009 Moscow, Russian Federation
Popov Alexander M., Ryabenkov Viktor I.
Moscow State Technical University of Radio Engineering, Electronics and Automation (MIREA), http://www.mirea.ru
119454 Moscow, Russian Federation
In work were done the development methods of the analysis of types of eyes movement for the problems of visual perception based on application of modern statistical and fractal analysis algorithms, and also studying of possibility of application results of the analysis for identification of the specific features indicators strategy of eyes movement at the observer when examining images. The record of eyes movements was carried out on the SMI iViewXTM Hi-Speed 1250 set (with the resolution <0.01° and the sampling frequency of 1250 Hz) of the German firm GmbH consisting of the operating computer, the monitor for control of carrying out experiment and the monitor for images presentation. The system provided determination of location of the observer look on the monitor screen by the non-invasive way so called "system of a dark pupil". According to this method an eye of the observer was shined with infrared (IR) the radiation which is well reflected by all areas of a eye surface, except pupil area. The reflected radiation was registered by IR video camera and was fixed in the file of data. The eyes movements were registered in a mode of monocular vision (the registration of one eye shifts), and also in a mode of binocular vision (the registration at the same time both eyes). In the last mode the record of the look localization for each eye was made with a frequency of 625 Hz (interval of time T=1,6 ms). In the this work for research of the eyes scanpathes at vision of images is offered to use of other fractal approach which was based on identification of statistical links between various sites of sequence of analyzed data. The conducted research allows to permit the following conclusions: -the method of the sequence analysis of look movements in space and time, consisting of alternation of fixings and saccades, based on application of modern statistical and fractal analysis algorithms of data was developed; -procedure of the fractal dimension calculation of trajectory of eyes movement in the field of fixings and saccades according to Minkowski (MFD) was offered; -it was shown that the fractal dimension of trajectory of eyes movement in small degree depends on image type, and also on a f angle of its vision; -it was shown that the fractal dimension strongly changes depending on the specific observer, and also from a type of the eyes movements – fixings or saccades; -the obtained results show that value of fractal dimension can effectively be used as a quantitative measure of strategy of eyes movement for the specific observer. This measure reflects rather endogenous (internal), instead of exogenous (the stimulations connected with features) perception characteristics; besides, it allows to distinguish and compare individual characteristics of the examining strategy of images of several observers.
Keywords: information technologies, cognitive processes technologies, eyes movements, perception of video information, psychophysiological features of visual organs, fractal analysis, fractal dimension.
UDC 004.932.2; 159.931
Bibliography – 20 references
Full-text electronic version of this article - web site http://elibrary.ru
- Yarbus AL. Rol’ dvizheniy glaza v protsesse zreniya [The role of eye movements in vision]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1965, 173 p.
- Gippenreyter YuB. Dvizheniya chelovecheskogo glaza [Movement of the human eye]. Moscow, MGU Publ., 1978, 179 p.
- Castelhano MS, Mack M, Henderson JM. Viewing task influences eye movement control during active scene perception. Journal of Vision, 2009, 9(6):1-15.
- Hidalgo-Sotelo B, Oliva A. Person, place, and past influence eye movements during visual search. In: S. Ohlsson & R. Catrambone (Eds.), Proc. of the 32nd Annual Conf. of the Cognitive Science Society, 2010, pp. 820-825. Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society.
- Findlay JM, Gilchrist ID. Active Vision: the Psychology of Looking and Seeing. New York, Oxford University Press, 2003, 220 p.
- Bridgeman G, Hendry D, Stark L. Failure to detect displacement of visual world during saccadic eye movements. Vision Research, 1975, 15:719-722.
- Rayner K. Eye movements in reading and information processing: 20 years of research. Psychological Bulletin, 1998, 124(3):372-422.
- Schnitzer BS, Kowler E. Eye movements during multiple readings of the same text. Vision Research, 2006, 46(10):1611-1632.
- Mandelbrot BB. The Fractal Geometry of Nature. New York, Freeman, 1982, 480 p.
- Heath R. Nonlinear dynamics: Techniques and applications in psychology. Mahwah, NJ, Erlbaum, 2000.
- Barabanschikov VA, Zhegalo AV. Metody redistratsii dvizheniy glaz: teoriya i praktika [Methods of recording eye movements: Theory and Practice]. Elektronny zhurnal “Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie” http//www.psyedu.ru/ ISSN:2074-5885, 2010, № 5.
- Guestrin ED, Eizenman M. Remote point-of-gaze estimation with free head movements. Proc. 3rd European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference. November 20-25, EMBEC'05 Prague, Czech Republic FMBE, 2005 11(1) ISSN: 1727-1983.
- Potapov A.A. Fractaly v radiofizike i radiolokatsii: topologiya vyborki [Fractals in Radiophysics and Radiolocation: topology of sample]. Moscow, Universitetskaya kniga Publ., 2005, 848 p.
- Belyaev RV, Kolesov VV, Menshikova GYa, Ryabenkov VI. Study of the perception features of video information in the telecommunication systems. Proc. 20-th Int. Crimean Conf. “Microwave & Telecommunication Technology” (Crimico’2010), 13-17 Sept., Sevastopol, Crimea, Ukraine, 2010:486-487.
- Belyaev RV, Kolesov VV, Men’shikova GYa, Popov AM, Ryabenkov VI. Issledovanie osobennostey vospriyatiya videoinformatsii pri pomoschi fraktal’nogo analiza traektorii dvizheniya glaz [Study of the special features of the perception of video information by the fractal analysis of the trajectory of the eyes motion]. RENSIT, 2011, 3(1):56-68 (in Russ.).
- Belyaev RV, Kolesov VV, Men’shikova GYa, Popov AM, Ryabenkov VI. Issledovanie osobennostey vospriyatiya graficheskoy informatsii pri pomoschi fraktal’nogo analiza [Study of the special features of the perception of graphical information by the fractal analysis]. Sbornik statey 11 mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii “Fundamental’nye i prikladnye issledovaniya, razrabotka i primenenie vysokikh tekhnologiy v promyshlennosti”, vol. 2. Saint-Petersburg, Politekhnich. Univ. Publ., 2011:34-37.
- Belyaev RV, Kolesov VV, Men’shikova GYa, Popov AM, Ryabenkov VI. Statisticheskie i fraktalnye kharakteristiki dvizheniya glaza pri vospriyatii izobrazheniy [Statistical and fractal characteristics of eye movements in the perception of images]. Sbornik statey 16 mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii “Fundamental’nye i prikladnye issledovaniya, razrabotka i primenenie vysokikh tekhnologiy v promyshlennosti i ekonomike”. Saint-Petersburg, Politekhnich. Univ. Publ., 2013:212-215.
- Crownover RM. Introduction to Fractals and Chaos. Boston-London, Jones&Bartlett Publ., 1995.
- Mandelbrot B, Van Ness J. Fractional Brownian motions, fractional noise and applications. SIAM Review, 1969, 10:422-437.
- Barabanschikov Ya, Okutina Gyu, Okutin Ol. Chuvstvitelnost’ Aytrekera I Tochnost’ Izmereniy Polozheniya Glaz [Sensitivity Of Eye Tracker And Accuracy Of Eye Position Measurements]. Psy. Journals.Ru /Psyjounals Exp/ /N3/47211.Shtml., 2011:90-96.